Saturday, March 19, 2005

Highlights from Today's Proverb and Psalms

From Proverbs 19:

17One who is gracious to a poor man lends to the LORD, and He will repay him for his good deed.

Praise God for his concern for the poor even when so many of us ignore them.

23The fear of the LORD leads to life, so that one may sleep satisfied, untouched by evil.

The fear of the Lord brings peace to our lives.

From Psalm 19:

1The heavens are telling of the glory of God; and their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.

7The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
8The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; the judgments of the LORD are true; they are righteous altogether.
10They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb.
11Moreover, by them Your servant is warned; in keeping them there is great reward.

Praise God He takes care of me and His law is perfect!

14Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer.

My daily prayer.

From Psalm 49:

13This is the way of those who are foolish, and of those after them who approve their words. Selah.
14As sheep they are appointed for Sheol; Death shall be their shepherd; And the upright shall rule over them in the morning, and their form shall be for Sheol to consume so that they have no habitation.
15But God will redeem my soul from the power of Sheol, for He will receive me. Selah.

20Man in his pomp, yet without understanding, is like the beasts that perish.

We must look so stupid to the Lord! But, He still loves us

From Psalm 109:

21But You, O GOD, the Lord, deal kindly with me for Your name's sake; because Your lovingkindness is good, deliver me;
22For I am afflicted and needy, and my heart is wounded within me.
23I am passing like a shadow when it lengthens; I am shaken off like the locust.
24My knees are weak from fasting, and my flesh has grown lean, without fatness.

David sure had a wonderful heart

From Psalm 139:

I had to post the entire Psalm. It is one of my favorites whenever I think of how much value our lives have

1O LORD, You have searched me and known me.
2You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thought from afar.
3You scrutinize my path and my lying down, and are intimately acquainted with all my ways.
4Even before there is a word on my tongue, behold, O LORD, You know it all.
5You have enclosed me behind and before, and laid Your hand upon me.
6Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is too high, I cannot attain to it.
7Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?
8If I ascend to heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.
9If I take the wings of the dawn, if I dwell in the remotest part of the sea,
10Even there Your hand will lead me, and Your right hand will lay hold of me.
11If I say, "Surely the darkness will overwhelm me, and the light around me will be night,"
12Even the darkness is not dark to You, and the night is as bright as the day darkness and light are alike to You.
13For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother's womb.
14I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well.
15My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth;
16Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them.
17How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them!
18If I should count them, they would outnumber the sand when I awake, I am still with You.
19O that You would slay the wicked, O God; depart from me, therefore, men of bloodshed.
20For they speak against You wickedly, and Your enemies take Your name in vain.
21Do I not hate those who hate You, O LORD? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?
22I hate them with the utmost hatred; they have become my enemies.
23Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxious thoughts;
24And see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way.

You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother's womb. I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Amen! Maranatha, Come quickly Lord Jesus. I want to be with You.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this Psalm. My church's kids ministry is having a mother daughter sleep over at the end of April, and I have the privilege of being allowed to help plan it (even though I'm the mother of boys, not girls)

We're using a beach party theme, with Psalm 139:17 & 18 as the scripture ...as I was planning the devotion for it, the realization of just how many times God thinks of us, how much he loves us ... David says his thoughs of us are more numerous than all the grains of sand ... do you have any idea how mind blowing that is??????

I'm going to have the girls try to count just a baby food jar full ... I pray the lesson that God loves them that much sticks in their minds forever ... mind boggling!!!!

Rick said...

Thanks for the comment peggikaye. I have always loved this Psalm also. What a wonderful and caring creator we have. Everytime I think that my life isn't very meaningful I return to this Psalm and the Lord tells me again that He formed my inward parts and that no matter where I go He is always there and loves me. It comforts me to no end.