Thursday, April 01, 2004

I Can't Believe I Passed My Spanish Translation Test

I found out yesterday that the Chair of the Modern Languages Department at Saint Louis University believes my Spanish translation skills are sufficient to conduct graduate level research in Spanish. What does this mean? A requirement of the SLU American Studies Department PhD program is that you have to have enough foreign language skills to do graduate level research in another language. So, what yesterday's results mean is that I have only on requirement left for my PhD! Now I only have to start/complete my 300 page paper on the meaning of life. Oh well, one more gate that I have successfully passed through and one more left on the long journey.

The reason why I can't believe I passed is because of how little I understood what I translated. It was an article in a Spanish Journal called religion y cultura (Religion and Culture). It was written about the Pope (Saint Louis University being a Jesuit school and all). I couldn't for the life of me tell you whether or not the article was written about something the Pope had said, or something that someone else had said about the Pope. It all depends on where the Spanish pronoun "el" is located in the sentence whether it means "he said" or "it was said about him". It doesn't matter any longer, I'm done! Woohoo! Now lets get on to page 1 of the dissertation.

No comments: