Monday, October 11, 2004

AXIOM04 Conference Hotwash



First I wanted to say a big "Thank You" to those of you who were praying for our conference. It went well and the students I talked to were blown away.

It was an exciting weekend. Friday night's Bebo Norman, Jason Morant, and Bethany Dillon concert was unbelievable. Bebo is the most recognizable name among the group and although I have heard many of his songs I couldn't name any of them before the concert. He played for about 2 hours and was very good. Jason Morant lead off the concert and I had been told that he is one of the new up and coming worship leaders. He was incredible. Bethany played in the middle and I'll have to say that I was the most impressed with her lyrics, voice and attitude. I was flooored when Bebo later announced that she is only 16 yars old. She is going to be a super star if she doesn't burn out. I can't believe a 16 year old can write such intimate love songs about God. What a talent.

After the concert Jason and Bethany went with us to the AXIOM04 Conference and kicked it off with leading us in an hour of worship. No one wanted to leave Friday night when they were done. The Holy Spirit was moving among us.

Saturday morning we all crawled out of bed and went to the formal portion of the conference. Aubrey Spears was the keynote speaker. I have heard so much over the last few years about how the stand up and lecture style of preaching won't be very effective in emerging generation churches, but Aubrey didn't use any slides, film clips, interactive props, or anything but himself and the Bible. And he found a way to grasp everyone's attention in the way he clearly explained God's Word. His use of metaphors was outstanding. He may be the best preacher at reaching the emerging generation I have heard so far.

Here's a picture of Aubrey.



Check out his website and if you ever see his name on the guest speaker's list don't think twice. Attend it.

The AXIOM breakout sessions went pretty well. I had some technical difficulties (the VCR ate my tape of Independence Day, and the second breakout session my powerpoint slides wouldn't work), but the students hung in there and the list of references of what I found in the Bible regarding War was very popular. I have them electronically if any of you would like them. Just E-Mail me at gideonshorn@yahoo.com and I'll send you a copy.

All in all it was a super conference. I am looking forward to next year. but, I felt like I over did it this year. Serving as the point of contact for both my church and collegiate ministry students attending the conference, leading two breakout sessions, representing the host church for the conference, and working all day at my civilian job on Friday while trying to put everything together wore me out. By about 4:00 on Saturday afternoon I was almost unconscious. But, it was a good exhaustion, and well worth the effort. Next year should be even better with the conference hopefully being hosted at another location. Then I'll just have to worry about my own college students and maybe speaking. Much......less......stress!!!!!!

No comments: