Friday, December 17, 2004

I'm Back!



It was a long trip to Hawaii, but I am finally back home! Most people try to make me feel like I was priveleged to go to Hawaii for two weeks in December, but it was a 100% working trip. I stayed at the nicest hotel in Waikiki, the Hilton Hawaiian Village, I had a nice rental car, the weather was perfect (80 degrees every day), and the food was incredible. But, contrast all that with my work schedule and connectivity with the world: the 2 weeks I was in Hawaii I left the hotel every morning at 5:00 and returned back at 8:00 in the evening. I worked every day and it was dark when I left for work and dark when I returned. The security classification of the exercise I was working at made it very difficult to use the phone, and the 400 people there had 6 unclassified computers with internet connections to share from. So my connection with the rest of the world was limited to my personal cell phone and whatever internet connection I could get at the hotel ($10 a day for web tv which didn't work well). Oh, well, time to suffer for the Lord!

The entire time I was in Hawaii I kept thinking that this is one of my images of hell. I am working in paradise whith no capability to enjoy it, and I am cut off from all my friends and family that are only a whisper away due to technology. The next time I go to Hawaii I hope I will be on vacation with my family.

Anyhow, with the little bit of time I spent online there I did get a change to read most of the blogs I hang out in, but didn't take the time to do any commenting on them or posting on mine. I thought it would take too much time away from others on a shared internet connection. Thanks for all the great posts, and I'm going to start commenting and posting again soon.

8 comments:

Erin said...

Welcome back! Your absense felt much longer than two weeks. It's amazing sometimes how online can "feel" so much like community...

Anonymous said...

I was dying to read an update on your journal. We so missed you, it felt like you were gone for two months!
-Sudarsun.

Rick said...

Over the last year or so I have really come to believe that you can have an online community. Before that I would have thought it would be more difficult. Being technologically separated from my online friends helped me appreciate how small the world is really becoming. I have totally missed reading about and being a part of the lives of my online family. Although location isn't a problem any longer with our online lives, seclusion is. Anyhow, I appreciated your post today on your "First Date". It is awesome! Take care sister.

Rick said...

Thanks Sudarsun. It is great to be back. I read ayour journal while I was gone. It helped brighten my days. Let me know when you have some time, I'd like to buy you lunch or dinner and talk about what the Lord has been doing in your life while I've been gone. Have a great first Christmas and God bless you.

Erin said...

Hey Rick-

Contest Girl is dolling out the prizes. Your choice: biscotti or amazon.com gift certificate. I know it's a tough choice LOL!!!

Let me know... Biscotti Brain.

Rick said...

Erin,I love Biscotti, but I didn't enter your contest for the prize. I entered because I love your blog. Keep the prize for your self,you deserve it. Your blog is a work of art that inspires me to make mine better. God bless you. Rick

Anonymous said...

Oh boo hoo. . . you had to work in Hawaii. Sure had to work. . . but it's better than working those same hours at a frickin' paper mill or some crap like that. My heart aches for you.

Rick said...

What's wrong with working in a paper mill? I've had those type of jobs and they were exactly what God wanted me to do.

My point wasn't that working in Hawaii was bad, my point was that I didn't like being away from my family and friends for so long.