Friday, March 02, 2007

A Cre8ed Evening at The Gate

Thanks to everyone who came out to The Gate last night for our Creation/Evolution discussion. Our building was packed! My good friends and Sunday morning Bible Study teachers Bob and Liz Ridlon did an excellent job with their presentation, the crowd seemed fired up, and the discussion was awesome. I really enjoyed having the McKendree College Biology Professor in the audience. It left me wondering why we don't have a monthly meeting to discuss the topics of today.

On the other side of the arguement, it is so hard to remain objective when discussing such emotionally packed ideas as "where do we come from?" "Do the Bible and science complement each other?" And, "How do we fix the mess we find ourselves in?" We try to remain objective and look at the answeres both theologically and intellectually, and show that both can exist simultaneously, but rather quickly it turns into an emotional battle. I feel fairly comfortable being a moderator, but I know I am biased also.

Question of the night that I don't have an answer for (from a religion major):

So if you are a young earth creationist, how do you explain the fact that we can look through a high powered telescope and see stars that are over 4.5 billion light years away? If they are that far away and you can see their light, that means that that light must have originated over 4.5 billion years ago in order for us to se it today. What are your thoughts?

I honestly don't know an answer! If you do, please leave a comment.

I guess I'll check with Answers in Genesis.

No comments: