Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Playing Well With Others

My wife and I have been hooked the last two weeks on the Fox show Trading Spouses. What a great commentary of how we live out our lives. Last night they finished the swap of Moms. It has been the story of Tammy Nakamura (a well to do white wife with all the pleasures of life) and Mela Biggins (a black wife of more modest possessions). They swapped places, and families, for 5 days. Each family received $50,000 for the experience. The catch is that the Mom who had been living with the family for only 5 days is the one who determined how the money would be spent. I was struck by how the two Moms handled themselves during the swap.

Mela was gracious and happy to be with the Nakamura family. She immediately bonded with the children, Dr Nakamura, and his mother Nana (who also filled the role as the family maid). I sensed that the Nakamura children genuinely liked Mela and that she was sincere in her actions toward the family. Mela became a very close to Nana and left her the $50,000. Mela wasn't a talker, she was a doer. She could talk if needed, but preferred to show her love through her actions.

Tammy, on the other hand, made herself look like a fool. She was constantly talking about how much she was bringing to the Biggins family, kept telling the children that they were overweight and needed to eat healthier, expected everyone else to serve her while she slept in in the morning, and wouldn't allow the children to listen to rap music because, "it gives me a headache." She did a good job divvying up the $50,000, but came across as pushy, selfish, insincere, and a real pain in the neck. The Biggins family obviously didn't like Tammy. At one point Mela's husband says about Tammy, "she acts like she wants to save our family, but I don't think our family needs saving."

I think the show provides a lesson to each of us who call on the name of Christ. How many Christians do you know who have gone out to save the world with the attitude of Tammy? They talk a great talk, but coat the gospel in their own cultural biases, and end up tainting the good news. They not only want to save the world, but want the world to be a clone of themselves. I think we would be much more effective if we took the path of Mela. Be a doer, not a talker. Be willing to let others have their own way if possible. Basically we need to learn to play well with others! We're living in an age where being a "missional" Christian is increasingly important. We shouldn't be trying to make clones of ourselves, but of Christ.

He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30 NASB)

6 comments:

orangejack said...

Good thoughts. Ironic that I made a post on my blog that was a compare/contrast of two personalities on another reality show! Ha!

Anonymous said...

Maybe we should both lay off the TV for a while! We watched the Amazing Race right After Trading Spouses. It is a super show.

Rick said...

Thanks for the link. I don't agree with your point of view, but I like your passion.

Yawn said...

Hi-
I'm having a problem installing digital camera software and was wondering if you could help. It's a Vivitar 3350 and it keeps saying I'm missing files and tells me to insert the Windows 98 disc. Unfortunately, I neither have the disc, nor a working CD Rom.

Also, I couldn't agree more with you on Trading Spouses: both wives distributed the $50K through their own ethno-cultural lenses into the cultural "other" family. I believe it's ethnocentrism at its most crystal clear.

Rick said...

Thanks for the comments.

I wish I could help with the camera, but I'm using Windows XP. Have you tried going to the Vivitar Website to see if they have any software that you could download?

Scott said...

preach it!