Thursday, June 23, 2005

The Age Division at The SBC

I have been reading lots of posts lately by and about the young leaders at the Southern Baptist Convention feeling like they don't have a voice. Two of the best are Steve McCoy's and Adam Feldman's.

I think a little too much emphasis is placed on the whole age thing. I know the 20 and 30 somethings are finding positions of leadership in SBC churches, but are frustrated that they are not being offered positions of leadership at the SBC. The young leaders are frustrated that their voice is not being heard. I can understand their frustration, but I think the issue goes deeper than age. The emerging church isn't about age, or worship style, but rather about a difference in worldview. My question would not be where are the young leaders in the SBC leadership? But, where are the emerging leaders in the SBC leadership?

It shouldn't be looked at as an old versus young division, but a worldview division. I am probably looking at the issue from the wrong perspective, but when I hear the young leaders asking that type of question I also have to ask, where are the middle aged leaders in the emerging church? I know they are there, but I don't think they are taken seriously by either the SBC leadership or the young leaders in the emerging church. It seems like the lines are being drawn around an age division, when I believe they should be drawn around a worldview division. I guess I get a little sensitive when a person in their late 40s with an emergent worldview like me doesn't fit into either camp. I side with the emergent camp, but age shouldn't be the overriding issue in this battle.

6 comments:

Steve McCoy said...

Rick, I said this in response to your comment on my blog too.

I largely agree with you and I think you make a great point. Joe and I on our trip home talked about this as well. I hope to blog on this soon.

Joe said...

Hey Man,

I am with you on a lot of what you have written here. But I have not yet met a "younger leader" who is frustrated because "they are not being offered positions of leadership at the SBC." This is not the issue for us. But neither is age. Ed Stetzer and others made this point as well at the summit. It must be about being missional, a word I believe is better suited to our conversation, work and Convetion. Good words man.

www.joethorn.net

Rick said...

Joe, thanks for the comment. I fully agree you that it is about being missional. I heard Stetzer at the Acts 29 Bootcamp in St Louis in May. He has the concept down and the skills to communicate it effectively to others. I can't say enough good things about him.

Erin said...

I appreciate your train of thought here, Rick. I'd have to guess that the 40's crowd are the same place that the women are. Largely absent from the public discussion, but very busy in the trenches.

I recently subscribed to a Canadian emergent discussion group, and have been reading along for a week or better. There were a few times when I wanted to add my voice, but had the feeling the whole thing might just explode if a female voice entered the fray. It's not intentionally male-centred, but the only folks who seem to be in their offices mid-day, mid week are male pastors.

So, take heart, Rick. You're not alone, you're just more likely to meet those that look like you in the trenches than online. Me too.

Erin said...

Okay, so this didn't come out exactly like I intended... certainly didn't mean to imply that younger male pastors aren't in the trenches...

Rick said...

Erin, thanks for the words. And thank you for bringing up the subject of the missing women's voice. I'm sorry that it took me a week to get back to you, but I've been at camp all week. I'll post a blog about camp later.

On the subject of the women's voice in the emergent dialog you are correct, I don't see it very often. God has been speaking to my heart on this topic a lot lately. I will post a blog about it later also.

Let me just say that I have chosen to enter into the emerging dialog even though I don't feel very qualified myself. My voice might not be taken seriously because I am in my late 40s, I am not an emerging Pastor (yet), just a leader of a parachurch ministry that is trying to minister to the emerging generations, and I don't have any facial hair (ha ha). But I have chosen to enter the emerging dialog because I feel it isn't an age, gender, or positional thing. It is a mindset. I believe that the modern church has placed its emphasis on directions that aren't working any longer and needs to change or we will lose an entire generation. I believe the leaders in the emerging culture are those best equipped to reach the lost right now. So, my advice for you is: jump in sister. Your voice is missing and needed.