Thursday, February 09, 2006

An Apology On Behalf Of My Christian Bretheren

Adam Feldman has a great Blog with a super post on how we as Christians may be winning the political battles and losing the war in people's hearts. It is located here. Link.

We have had several local serevice men and women die in the war over the last three years. It is an emotional gut wrenching experience to have family and friends sacrifice everything for our country. I am especially sensitive to it being a retired Air Force Officer. As Christians we have an opportunity to provide comfort and serve the families left behind in their time of grief. One group in particular, the group led by Fred Phelps that Adam cites in his post, has shown unbelievable insensitivity by protesting with anti-gay rallies at service men and women's funerals. As a Christian this infuriates me. We need to show these unfortunate families Christ's love, not use their grief as an opportunity to bash our political beliefs over a grieving crowd. I believe Fred Phelps, although he desires to raise awareness of the anti-gay stance (one that I applaud him on), has chosen the wrong battleground to fight on. It is giving Christians a black eye in the mind of the public.

In John 2:13-16 the Bible says,

(13) The Jewish Passover was near, so Jesus went up to Jerusalem. (14) In the temple complex He found people selling oxen, sheep, and doves, and [He also found] the money changers sitting there. (15) After making a whip out of cords, He drove everyone out of the temple complex with their sheep and oxen. He also poured out the money changers' coins and overturned the tables. (16) He told those who were selling doves, "Get these things out of here! Stop turning My Father's house into a marketplace!"

I believe this group has turned an opportunity to minister to hurting people into a political agenda marketplace. As Adam did, I am afraid I must apologize on their behalf for all the damage they have done.

1 comment:

Adam said...

awww, shucks. flattery will get you no where. :) in all seriousness, thanks for the kind words you posted on my blog for my family...