Thursday, February 09, 2006

Licensed to Preach the Gospel

During last night's worship service my church, FBC O'Fallon, voted to license me as a minister to "Preach the Gospel". I am very humbled. As the Baptist Collegiate Ministry Director and Campus Minister to McKendree College I appreciate the church's validation of my calling to ministry and the recognition and support it brings to the BCM program by FBC O'Fallon licensing me. It is an important step in others finding worth in has been driving me for the last couple of years. But, I find the wording of the license to "Preach the Gospel" a little awkward. It seems strange to me that you should require a license to preach. Each of us that believe Jesus Christ is Lord are called to spread the good news that only He has ransomed us from death and provided access to the Father.

Romans 10:9-10 says:

If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (10) With the heart one believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth one confesses, resulting in salvation.

We need to be preaching the gospel if we believe in the gospel! It doesn't need to be left up to licensed professionals.

I know it is purely an administrative license, but to be licensed to "Preach the Gospel" seems a little awkwardly worded.

Thank you FBC O'Fallon for putting your trust in me. I won't let you down.

No comments: