Thursday, March 11, 2004

Spanish Translation Test

If you are reading this then please pray for me. Tomorrow I have another wicket to go through in the pursuit of my PhD. The Saint Louis University American Studies department has a foreign language requirement for the PhD program. Tomorrow I will be taking a Spanish language translation test to prove that I can do academic research in another language. I took 5 years of Spanish in Junior High and High School, and have taken several trips to Mexico and Spain, but haven't spoken much Spanish in the last 15 years. So, it will be touch and go on the translation test. I pray that my trusty Spanish dictionary gets me through. To get me prepared for the test I have been translating the Book of Romans. It brings a lot of meaning to what the Bible says when you read it in another language and then have to go through the work of translating each word into English. It is an enlightening project that I enjoy and brings a deeper level of understanding to what we read and take for granted each day. I may push ahead and complete translating the book of Romans just for the understanding it will help me gain.

No comments: