Thursday, June 24, 2004

Back From Vacation Con't

Well, last post listed my top 8 reasons why LA doesn't feel like home any longer. I thought to be open minded I should start a post to list the great things about LA. It has to be a great place to live if people want to pay the outrageous prices to live there. So, here's my top reasons:

1. You absolutely can't beat the weather. I'd estimate 300 days of sunshine, zero days of subfreezing weather, and cool nights even in the summer. The weather is awesome. Here's the current weather. Link.

2. Multicultural living. The cultural diversity in LA is incredible. It truly is America's melting pot. The only places that come close that I have been to are Washington DC and New York.

3. If you can afford to buy a house you can make a lot of money on it because house prices continue to appreciate. My Dad bought his house in 199 fgor $48,000 and sold it around 1995 for $50,000. He bought a condo at the beach in 1999 for $175,000 and sold it this year for $475,000. Not too bad if you can afford to get into the housing market. I figure it will crash some day, but hasn't so far.

4. The physical landscape. Within a 2 hour drive of LA is the ocean, mountains, and deserts. It is physically abundant with challenging landscape.

5. There is just so much to do. Disneyland, Universal Studios, 6 Flags, the beaches, skiing and hiking in the mountains, Las Vegas is only 3 hours away. When I was in high school the big day was Senior Ditch Day when the seniors would ditch school the last day before Christmas vacation. The tradition was to go surfing in the morning in Santa Monica and skiing in the afternoon at Kratka Ridge Ski Resort. Not too many places in the US, or on earth where you can do that.

If you have some other reasons why living in LA is awesome please post them here using my comments section. I'll add more later.

No comments: