Tuesday, November 16, 2004

It's Been A Long Trip, But The Rewards Are Great!

I'm 3/4 of the way through a 2 week trip. I spent last week in New Jersey and this week in Northern California teaching a software class at a couple of Air Force Bases. The class has gone pretty well, and the pay is good, but my heart hasn't really been in it. I can't imagine how people get fulfilled from doing this. There is so much more to life than being on the road and making a lot of money.

Although I have only been gone for a couple of weeks I have thought a lot about my family. I appreciate and love them more than I ever have and miss them alot. It is so touching to hear my wife, son, and daughter on the phone when I'm away. You really learn not to take them for granted. The year I had to leave them behind when the Air Force sent me to Korea was a horrible one and being away from home again really helps me to think out my priorities and decide what is important in my life. This is the longest I have been gone since Korea and I guess I don't like being gone any longer, but it is rewarding to know that they can function so well when I am gone. It makes me feel like a successful husband and father to hear them doing so well.

My other family, the ministry to McKendree College, seems to be able to go on well without me also. In the 2 weeks I have been gone my students have had the privelege to lead 5 new believers to Christ. They are such an awesome group of students and I don't know why God has chosen me to lead and mentor them, but when I leave for a couple of weeks and they are so faithful for the Lord and bold in their faith it makes me feel successful as a leader and mentor.

I hate being gone, but I know that seeing how the Lord continues to bless those at home while I'm gone makes it seem like the effort while I'm there is well worth it. I am not boasting, because it is the Lord who is blessing. And praise God he continues to bless us!

No comments: