Thursday, January 13, 2005

Life on the Seesaw



We have had a very blaah winter. So far the weather has mainly been in the 40s with a lot of rain. We had 2 inches of snow a week or so ago, but it melted the next day. It makes for a very boring, long dreary winter.

The last 2 days though have been pretty exciting. Last night we ate dinner on the back deck. The temperature was 70 degrees and the sky was overcast. It was a real nice day and we could have worn shorts comfortably. I went home for lunch today. The weather has changed dramatically! It is 30 degrees and there are 2 inches of snow in my front yard. I can't believe how quickly the weather changed. It is beautiful, exciting, and anything but the same old routine boring.

God tells us the same thing. I have been studying the book of Revelation pretty hard the last month or so. In the letter to the church of Laodicea in Revelation 3:14-16 God tells us,

14"To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:

These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation. 15I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16So, because you are lukewarm–neither hot nor cold–I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

I know it is a stretch to compare being a luke-wearm follower of Christ to my local weather, but as I was driving through the snow on the way back to work today I was thinking about how much more beautiful and exciting it is to live in a place where the weather is always changing like here in St Louis, rather than the standard, warm, ho hum weather I grew up in back in Los Angeles. Maybe a lame comparison, but one I can claim in my simple mind.


2 comments:

Speckman's Scratchings said...

Your comments on Laodecia reminded me of my last (and first!) visit there almost 15 years ago. I had the privilege of leading a communion service in one of the two ruined amphitheatres on the site. (Each could seat 25,000 people...there were 25 of us Aussies on a Campus Crusade Project.) Anyhow, as the story goes I found that historically there were two different rivers that merged at Laodecia. You guessed it...one was icy cold from snow melt and quite refreshing. The other was a natural hot spring and had "world famous" medicinal value. People would visit one or the other (as per their need) before the rivers actually merged. Downstream the confluence was like an "effluance" that evidently stimulated a gagging reflux. Thanks for the gentle reminder to check my temperature!

Rick said...

Thanks for adding the context on Laodecia. Many of us are content to use the food analogy, but you have brought a new depth to understanding what God's Word is telling us. Praise God and keep up the good work!