Thursday, September 16, 2004

The Samaritan Woman at the Well

Wow, another spirit-filled Bible Study last night. We have been using the DVD The Gospel of John as our visual text. It is such an incredible tool. I was in awe at watching Jesus' encounter with the Samaritan woman at the well. The Jews didn't associate with the Samaritans, so when Jesus spends the time to talk to her and tell her about Him I see it as an example that we all should follow. We used it last night to talk a little about living our lives as a witness to the Gospel. We need to be living a missional life to be effective for the Lord.

Every time I read Scott's Blog and hear about the amazing things New Horizons is doing in the streets in Mission, BC, or when I read Biscotti Brain's Blog and The Off Shore Fisherman's Blog about what is going on in their church I am staggered at how little I am doing to make a difference in my community. How many times do we settle for the routine we have known our whole life when we could really be making a difference in thelives of others? I am convicted that I am in a routine and not doing enough to share Jesus with those I am not comfortable with. This post by Off Shore Fisherman is particularly convicting to me. Link. How do we live the gospel before a lost world? If Jesus were our true role model we should all be honored when we are approached by others saying, "Do you have a place for them, our Church just isn't the right fit? Could we send them here?". I can't think of a question that could be more flattering to a Pastor. I understand that churches each have pesonalities, but being missional means that we take the gospel into today's culture. Some churches are stuck in the routine and can't make the transition to being missional, but others do and thrive on it. Praise God for the differences they are making in people's lives! God loves the Samaritans, skateboarders, college students, even the kids at the canal.

Please Lord, help us all to be plain clothes Christians and live out the gospel in the midst of a lost world!

3 comments:

Erin said...

It's interesting, Rick, that I was convicted with the very same post you were...

I've been in hiding lately... not being obedient in many opportunities the Lord has sent my way.

Thanks for the reminder!!

Forgiven said...

it's New Heights... sorry it's a sickness i have. last night we met to talk about our ministry on the streets of mission, how it started, how it's grown and where it's going. God has done some amazing things here. our street church is growing by leaps and bounds. i loved the "Do you have a place for them, our Church just isn't the right fit? on the The Off Shore Fisherman's Blog. it's not the people that don't fit... it's the churches that don't fit... new heights fits... thanks to our awesome pastors and community of believers.

Rick said...

Forgiven,

I apologize. I know your church is New Heights, and I can't believe I called it New Horizons. Sorry. But, either way I am so impressed with what you all are doing. Thanks for setting me straight.