Friday, July 16, 2004

Cheney Says He'll Stay on Ticket

The Republicans may win the election this Fall, but I believe they just lost the 2008 election.  Fox News is running an article that quotes Dick Cheney as saying he will remain on the ticket this year.  Here's a link to the story.  Link
 
I guess I was hoping that Cheney would drop off the ticket and Bush could use the opportunity to pick a young moderate Republican to solidify the party and groom for the 2008 election.  I see Cheney, and his ties to Halliburton, as a big liability for Bush this year.  I don't think Cheney is clean, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get into more trouble before the election.  I was hoping his knowledge of what was going on in Abu Ghraib might force him out.  I think the bigger problem is, if they don't replace Cheney, who will take over the party leadership after Bush is gone?  There will be a leadership void that could be filled by a younger and more appealing vice-Presidential candidate.  Cheney will be too old to run for President, and Arnold is ineligible.  I guess we can always hold out for Mike Ditka

No comments: