Saturday, July 03, 2004

FBC O'Fallon College and Career/McKendree BCM Update

Brothers and Sisters,

I just wanted to remind you that we are having a special day tomorrow at church. With the celebration of the 4th of July we will not be having any Sunday Morning Small Group Bible Study at either 9:45 or 11:00. We will be having one Church-wide worship service in the Main Wordhip Center at 10:00. I don't know how we will fit all those people in the worship center for one big service, so I suggest that you arrive early because it will be a busy time and the seats will go quickly.

Sunday evening from 5:00-7:00 we will be having a 4th of July celebration at O'Fallon Park. There will be food available (a hotdog, or brautwurst, chips, and something to drink, and knowing the way our church likes to eat I'm sure there will lots of dessert, all for $3) for our all-church picnic in the park. Its a great park for a picnic, and I hear that Jack Turner will take on all comers in the three-legged-race! I wonder if he needs a partner for that?

For your prayers:

- Pastor Doug has been leading the ministry team in Peru this last week and next week, so please keep them in your prayers. If you know Pastor Doug you know he will be in the thick of serving the people in Peru in order to show them God's love and plan for their lives. Pray that the Lord will provide the ministry team with opportunities to make a difference in people's lives.

Here's what we have planned for the next week or so:

Tuesday July 6

Tuesday Night Movie Night
at 7:30pm at the Anderson's house . Here is a link to a map to find their house. Link. They live at 1108 Far Oaks (about a 2 miles north of Interstate 64 just off of Old Collinsville Road). The food is great and if you have a movie you want to share please bring it. The Anderson's are superb hosts and the last 2 years of Tuesday Night Movie Night has been a solid time of getting to know each other.

October 8/9

FBCOF is hosting AXIOM04, the Illinois Baptist State Association's big annual College and Career conference on October 8 and 9. Students from all over Illinois will be attending. We are expecting around 300 students to be here for that Friday and Saturday! We have an incredible opportunity to show off our church and our department to those who come from all over the state. If you are interested in being a part of the planning team for this conference please let me know. So far, we have a couple of students who are involved in the planning, and we could always use your help. We definitely have a need for more help. If you would like to help, please don't feel shy to volunteer. It will be a great conference. Our headliner speaker, named Aubrey Speers, is coming all the way from England to share with us and the conference will include other top notch speakers and awesome music. We'll have more information available as we get closer.

FBC O'Fallon Website Help Needed:

Check out the new FBC O'Fallon church website located here. Link. It looks prety good. Whoever designed it did a great job! But, the College and Career portion of the website isn't built yet and we could use your help if you are technologically gifted, or if you are willing to learn how to build the College and Career website. Imagine a website created in your own image! If you are interested in helping please let me know via E-Mail at GideonsHorn@yahoo.com, or in person when you see me next time.

Blog/Website of the week:

JordonCooper.com

Jordon Cooper, a young Pastor in Sasketchewan, has a great Blog located here. Link. I have talked to many of you about Blogging, but if you are not sure what a Blog is, the best way to describe it is as a weblog or an online journal that people can comment on. Blogs are taking off as a way to establish community with fresh dialog. I've been reading Jordon's blog daily for about 2 years now, and find it very refreshing. It is a wonderful mixture of religion, politics, art, relationships, and all the other pieces of our life that make up our faith. Each time I read Jordon's blog I come away challenged, because he looks at things from a different perspective than I do. His perspective is valid, just as mine is, so when I read his Blog I feel challenged and come away re-thinking the perceptions that I have built in my life. There are lots of websites and Blogs out there that are trying to establish true community among believers. Each week I will introduce you to another of the Blogs that I have found that help keep me stay grounded in the community of Christ.

If you are interested in Blogging please contact me. I have been blogging for about 2 years now and find it a great way let others know what is going on in my life, share information, build some lasting relationships, and stretch my thinking. And it is all free. If you haven't stopped by yet, my blog is located here. Link.

God bless you all and hope to see you Sunday. Your brother in the Lord,

Rick Marshall

GideonsHorn@yahoo.com

No comments: